Beginner Golf Guide
If you are new in the golf world this beginner golf guide can assist you. Everyone needs to start from somewhere. For a beginner, it is crucial to know basic stuff first.
If you think that you need to play really good to enjoy the game. Guess again. You don’t have to be an expert to play. But you need to know basics of technique and golf rules etc. After you learn this thing you will enjoy even more.
First of all, the best way to start is to go to your local golf course and start. There is not a right or a wrong way of learning. You will learn along the way.
Furthermore, you will soon realize that your knowledge has increased. After the initial start, you will know what parts of the game you need to improve.
But before coming to that part you need to tackle with the basics. And these basics include:
- Golf Terminology
- Rules Of The Golf
- What To Wear
- Golf Etiquette
- How To Choose Equipment
So we will look closely to this terms. Since they are very important for a beginner golfer.
As for terminology is concerned you need to know some of the basic terms to manage yourself on the golf course. We will mention a few ones. The rest you can find here.
- Aim – this is a direction of your shot. Where your target lies and where you what your ball to go.
- Angle Of Approach – this means the angle at which club head hits the ball
- Back-swing – it is the first part of the golf swing. It starts when the golf club is behind the ball and ends when it is behind player’s head
- Ball-marker – small coin or token that you use to mark your ball’s position
- Break – this is a ball that is little of the track
- Divot – this is a chick of grass and earth after the shoot
And much more. This is just a few ones to get a feeling. This may seem like a lot of terms but you will quickly learn most of them.
Rules Of The Golf
Because of the complexity of the game people think that golf rules are hard to know. Due to simplicity, they are very obvious. If you play for fun the rules are not strict.
You will probably need to pay attention if you decide to go in a tournament. But for the rest of us, rules are there for a guidance.
You also need to check the rules for lost balls. It is always a good idea to check if your local golf course has some special rules that apply to their fields.
If you want to expand your knowledge and get very familiar with the rule you can start here.
What To Wear
I am sure that you watch a game or two. And that you see what players are wearing. You don’t have to bust your brains for this.
Just a simple polo shirt for men are fine. As for women, most courses don’t have that policy. Also, a pair of pants or shorts is fine.
Women can wear skirts. Due to sunny days, it is a good option to wear sunglasses and some sun-tan lotion. You can get this in any store or order it online.
It is important to have good manners in life. This is equally important on a golf course. Many beginners don’t know this. You can read about some of them in this golf guide. While you can read the full list here, we will mention just some of them.
- Repair pitch marks – when the ball lands it can cause damages on the fields. You must learn how to repair properly.
- Unsolicited advice – even if you know how to play don’t give advice if not ask to.
- Keep a pace – you need to be ready to play when it is your turn
- Talking when someone is taking their shot – you will disrupt someone concentration and it is rude
- Don’t hit the ball if there is someone on the field – you can hurt someone. Pay attention
- Casting shadows – especially when golfer is putting
- Standing too close – this can be very disrupting and you can learn this lesson a hard way
As you can see many of this thing are very obvious. And if you pay attention to other people you will not have any problems.
How To Choose Equipment
Choosing right golf equipment can be very stressful for a beginner golfer. First of all, you might think that you need fancy equipment, but you don’t.
For learning basics, you just need the solid pair of golf clubs. And that’s it. You don’t need to spend hundred of dollars on a new set, you have a better option of buying used ones.
Even better if you have a friend that plays you can borrow his or hers. Why not buy? The answer is simple. The new beginner set can cost many hundreds of dollars. And after a while when you learn the basic you will realize that you need better golf clubs.
Why better? Because we are all different. You will want to improve areas of the game that I don’t need to. And to do that you will see that better golf club is needed.
A better option if you want to spend money is to invest into taking golf lessons. You will appreciate this investment more than a new set of clubs.
Other parts of the golf equipment that you need:
- Golf Bag
- Golf Balls
- Golf Shoes
- Divot Repair Tool
- Golf Glove
- A Towel
You can easily obtain every element in your local sports store. Or you can order it online.
Most of all enjoy the game. Anything else should be in second place. Another important aspect is to realize that you need to be realistic about your improvements.
Don’t expect that you will be next Tiger Woods. You should set realistic goals. And tackle each step at the time. You can use this golf guide as a reference point in the future.