Dana White remains unfazed by the speculation surrounding Conor McGregor’s recently acquired boxing license.
As of last week, the UFC’s reigning lightweight champion can box in the state of California, reigniting talks of he and legendary boxer Floyd Mayweather potentially lacing up the gloves. The UFC boss, however, doesn’t see the pair of trash-talking cash cows ever squaring off.
“It ain’t happening,” White said, according to Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports.
McGregor is still under contract with the promotion, which presumably prohibits him from making a foray into boxing, so White’s stance is of little surprise. Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe has harshly echoed the UFC boss’ statement, claiming McGregor was far from the boxer’s radar and predicting Mayweather would beat the Irishman “from pillar to post” if ever they did tussle in the ring.
Ellerbe once again shot down the potential matchup on Monday, this time citing the above-mentioned legal caveat as another reason it wouldn’t materialize.
“This is the bottom line, and that is that Conor McGregor is under contract with the UFC, period, point blank, and he can’t do anything on his own without the approval of Dana White and the brass at WME-IMG,” Ellerbe said. “They’re not going to let him do anything like this. The fact is, they didn’t invest $4.2 billion into that company to have the face of their brand (destroyed).”
McGregor himself belittled the matchup’s merit – reminding those in attendance at a recent Q&A in Belfast that Mayweather initiated their verbal war – before cursing Ellerbe in response to his comments.
Whether a boxing match figures into his future or not, the Irishman’s fate likely won’t be decided until the spring, as he’s taken time off in preparation for the birth of his first child.