One of Liverpool’s most inconsistent players has reportedly agreed a gigantic new deal.
Earlier this month, The Telegraph claimed:
“Talks between Adam Lallana and his representatives over a new deal are at an advanced stage”.
Now, The Mirror reports:
“Adam Lallana has agreed a fresh £150,000-a-week deal at Anfield [and] will pocket £31.2m over the course of the new contract”
So, The Telegraph’s earlier story wasn’t a nightmarish hallucination (!)
Sorry, but this is just sickening. £150k-a-week [for is totally undeserved, but it’s indicative of Liverpool’s penchant for handing players massive contracts without considering the future implications. For example: the Reds handed Reina, Johnson, Enrique huge long-term deals, and then struggled to get rid of them once their form hit the skids. Meanwhile, Liverpool hemorrhaged money, which inexorably led a concerted effort to reduce the wage bill. You’d think the club would learn from these mistakes, but the negative trend has continued:
* Jurgen Klopp: Given a 6-year deal less than one year into his initial 3-year deal. Rewarded despite regression in the league and failing to outperform Brendan Rodgers.
* Joe Gomez: got a new 5-year deal when he already had FOUR YEARS remaining on his contract.
* Simon Mignolet: Unfairly rewarded with a new 5-year contract despite being the Premier League’s most error player (!)
now, FSG is making the same mistake with Lallana, though this potential decision is far more egregious. A fair appraisal of Lallana’s overall impact shows regular and damaging inconsistency:
– 2014-15: No assists for 5 months (Dec 28th till the end of season).
– 2014-15: 1 goal in 18 games (Sep 13 to Nov 23)
– 2014-15: 2 goals in 21 games (Jan 1st till end of season)
– 2015-16: Failed to score for 21 games in a row (Oct 4 to Jan 17).
– 2015-16: Failed to scored for 12 games in a row (Mar 6 to Apr 23)
– 2015-16: One paltry assist in 13 games (Mar 17 to the end of the season)
– 2015-16: Not in the Premier League’s top 20 for assists or key passes.
– 2016-17: 1 goal/1 assist in last 12 games; Nothing for 9 games in a row.
This is worth £150k-a-week? What a joke.
source: liverpool kop