A-Rod: I’d be OK if Yankees released me

A rod
Alex Rodriguez’s career with the New York Yankees may be coming to an end, and if the team decides to cut the legendary slugger, he’d move on.

Rodriguez told reporters Tuesday he’s be okay if the Yankees decided to release him.

“I know that the organization has a brighter future today than it did last week, and hopefully I’m part of that equation,” Rodriguez said before Tuesday night’s Subway Series game at Citi Field, according to Pete Caldera of NorthJersey.com.

“But if not, I can accept it very clearly.’’

On Monday, after the Yankees jettisoned another two veterans for prospects, one source told the New York Daily News that Rodriguez getting released before the end of the 2016 campaign “could happen.”

Roughly 24 hours later, the 41-year-old designated hitter said he hasn’t had any conversations with Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner or general manager Brian Cashman to that effect, but stressed that he’d be content no matter what the team decides.

“Whatever they do, I’m at peace with myself,’’ said Rodriguez, who sits four home runs shy of 700 for his career.

“I’m one of the luckiest human beings on the planet,” he continued. “I respect everything Cashman’s doing, I trust Hal Steinbrenner’s plan. I forever will be a Yankee fan. I hope I can contribute. I hope I can stay here (through 2017).”

Rodriguez, who’s owed another $21 million next year in the final season of a 10-year extension, is hitting just .205/.253/.358 with nine home runs and 29 RBIs across 233 plate appearances in 2016.

source: thescore

Related Post